Subject: ASM looks cool but LGPL (was Re: [bcel] Is anyone a BCEL expert?)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:29:13 +0100
From: James Strachan <james_strachan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: geronimo-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've heard good reports of ASM

http://asm.objectweb.org/

and its very small (22Kb) - only problem is its LGPL :(. Anyone fancy
trying to persuade them to change licence :)

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 11:35  pm, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 04:30 PM, Jens Schumann wrote:

On 8/22/03 05:11 PM Dain Sundstrom <dain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are going to need some BCEL code which varies from simple to quite
complex. If you are an expert or eager to learn, here is what we need
(from simple to complex):

[...] A few examples creating bytecode [...]

I guess I touch a sensitive topic here, but wouldn't it be better to
approach a AOP style solution instead - maybe by using AspectWerkz or
something. I think in the long run there is more involved than creating
proxies for field interception only etc.

I would really, really, really like to delay the AOP framework discussion to much latter. We have just a few places we need byte code generation, and not an entire framework. If you have a *free* tool that we *can* use that do the mentioned things easily, and generates fast code (like bcel can), them please show us how (a patch), otherwise I think we should just go with BCEL (for now).

-dain

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

--
Jeff Mesnil     INRIA - ObjectWeb Consortium
JOTM project leader
email: jmesnil at inrialpes.fr
homepage: http://sardes.inrialpes.fr/people/jmesnil/perso.html