Mail Archive Home | architecture List | August 2003 Index

Re: [asm] [Fwd: ASM looks cool but LGPL (was Re: [bcel] Is anyone a BCEL expert?)]

I've used both BCEL and ASM. I have found the ASM implementation and Visitor
design pattern
approach both simple and extremely powerful. An example of this was class
renaming, I could use
the ClassVisitor to iterate through my class and replace all references in
both the code and the
parameters passed that referenced the old class name. The bytecode is at a
slightly more abstract
level than BCEL, making it easier to write. The source code is small and well
written and you can
easily get to grips with it in a weekend.

Eric Bruneton has been extremely helpful and timely with help.

The project does lack decent documentation, which I hope to help with - as
I'm just starting to
write up an FAQ of my recent experiences.

Is the LGPL really that aweful? I think for a "library" its ideal, it allows
the project to be
used and exploited commercially without exposing the company using the code -
but also ensures the
health and longetivity of the project by encouraging these commercial
entities to give back and
reduces risk of "forking". This "ASF" license for everything really is
becoming a religious
crusade, I can understand the need for the main application to be ASF
licensed, but they are
excluding or reproducing many good "libraries" just because they are LGPL,
the LGPL is not the
GPL. It would be a sad day if ASM is is not persued and an "alternative"
project started aimed at
cloning ASM, because of these licensing issues.

Regards

Mark

 --- Jeff Mesnil <Jean-Frederic.Mesnil@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > FYI, ASM seems
to interest Geronimo