Mail Archive Home | architecture List | October 2003 Index

Re: licenses for ObjectWeb components & Apache/OW collaboration

That's terrific news, Jean-Bernard.  Thanks!

Geronimo developers: this should encourage you to look at the code
ObjectWeb has implemented for its J2EE server, to see if there are any
places where collaboration would be preferable to reimplementation.  To be
clear, BSD-licensed code from any party may be incorporated into Apache
releases licensed under the Apache license.  I would encourage such
collaboration work to take place wherever the "home" is for such code,
rather than importing the code into Apache's CVS trees and creating (even
unintentionally) an Apache-specific branch.  Perhaps someone could lead a
discussion about the dev & release cycle that accounts for such
externally-developed components.  Be aware that the agreements that cover
your contributions to the ASF would not apply to contributions you'd make
to ObjectWeb components; I don't know if ObjectWeb has contributor
agreements like we do.

I now leave this issue in the capable hands of the Geronimo community.

        Brian