Mail Archive Home | architecture List | December 2003 Index

Re: [architecture] Fwd: [college] Fwd: [webmaster] New SourceForge project submitted

Hi,

Reading this thread, I have two comments:

1.  There is  probably only one common thing between Monolog or other logging system used for auditing or monitoring purpose and logging system used to ensure atomic updates in transactional context: they share the same name. Thus, I think it makes sense to investigate them separately.

2. There are at least (to my knowledge) two projects that relate to that topic within ObjectWeb. The first one is C-JDBC as it has been discussed with Emmanuel. Indeed using a database system for reusing its logging features is a good idea but it may be quite a heavy solution in some contexts.
The second one is Perseus (available on ObjectWeb forge) that aims at providing an open (component-based) persistence framework that has been worked out by IMAG/LSR and FTR&D. The current beta version provides cache management, concurrency management (pessimistic or optimistic), transaction management, storage management and as been heavily validated as it is used into Speedo. Unfortunately, the logging part has been heavily studied (API definition) and experimented (prototyped), but it has not been published yet on forge. Anyway, we already have a lot of code there that can be shared with others, having in mind that it is published under LGPL.

Pascal.

Alexandre Lefebvre wrote:
Hi,

I'm forwarding this thread to architecture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx to open the  discussion.