Mail Archive Home | architecture List | August 2004 Index

RE: [architecture] Fwd: greeting from XimpleWare

Hi,

I have a few questions/comments on the Ximpleware parser:
- XML parsers usually come with XML validation, based on DTD, XML Schema
and/or Relax NG. Which type of validation does VTD-XML support?
- I've read the benchmark document comparing VTD-XML, DOM and SAX: it shows
performance improvements over SAX for parsing an in-memory buffer(which by
the way is just one part of a complete XML application) of about 20-30%.
Pull parsers (such as those implementing StAX) usually provide similar
performance improvements over SAX: do you have any benchmarks comparing
VTD-XML and a pull parser such as XPP?
- Your goal is to improve performance and scalability of Web Services: how
do you intend to proceed? I see two potential problems in your approach:
* One well-known approach to perf and scalability improvement is to use
streaming and pull parsing for processing SOAP messages:  my understanding
is that VTD-XML is not particularly well-suited for that (as you keep a copy
of the XML document in memory).
* Many Web Services toolkits (such as Axis, but commercial toolkits do the
same) use the JAXP interface to support the plug-in of a different XML
parser: which JAXP interfaces do you currently support, and which ones do
you intend to support in the future? We can also expect new versions of WS
toolkits to support the StAX (Streaming API) API for better perf and
scalability. Do you plan to support this API as well?

Cheers

Antoine Mensch