Mail Archive Home | architecture List | August 2004 Index

Fwd: [Dbworld] Announcing the release of Timber

For information.

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Stelios Paparizos" <spapariz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 August 2004 14:51:00 GMT+02:00
To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Dbworld] Announcing the release of Timber

We are pleased to announce the release of Timber: a native
XML database system developed at the University of Michigan
that allows users to store XML data and pose queries using
XQuery or algebraic operations.

We recognize XML documents to be trees, possibly with
links between tree nodes, and build a system to manipulate
collections of trees while avoiding the pitfalls of
"instance at a time" navigational access. An algebra for XML
is developed that manipulates sets of ordered labeled trees.
A query (in XQuery) is parsed into an algebraic representation,
which can be manipulated in a query optimizer to develop
an appropriate query plan to evaluate the query, using new
access mthods we have developed for Timber. (The current release
only has a limited query optimizer. However, the hooks are present
for more sophistiated optimization, which we intend to do in
a future release).

Timber is available as code in C++ and C#. The project
files for visual studio .NET and instructions on how to
build the code are provided. Timber allows the user to load
XML data into a device and build value based and join indexes
to speed up querying. A substantial fragment of XQuery is
supported for querying the loaded data, as well as the option
of using our logical algebra with pattern tree matchings
or using our physical operations with direct data accesses
and structural joins. Timber can be accesed via a graphical
user interface, used as a command prompt tool or a soap server.

For more information, including an overview of the system,
related publications, and the instructions to install
and use the software, please follow the link
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/db/timber/

Please feel free to download, build and use our code. We will
appreciate any feedback on it. Please send emails with
questions or problems to the timber mailing list
(timber@xxxxxxxxx).

Regards,
the Timber team