Mail Archive Home | c-jdbc List | August 2004 Index

Re: [c-jdbc] balancing read queries to mysql replicants

Hi Luke,

we are using MySQL replication and would like to have our applications' SELECT queries be distributed to the MySQL slaves, and the write queries (insert, update, delete) be directed to the MySQL master. I've looked at the documentation for a while, but it seems that all of the RAIDb levels available to configure c-jdbc will attempt to do the replication for us...executing the writes on all backends. we really don't want this...we'd rather just have c-jdbc perform the job of filtering read queries to the slaves, and write queries to the master. are there any example virtualdatabase config files for this type of setup? or can someone point me to a tutorial for setting up c-jdbc with this kind of setup?

The setup that is the closest to what you need is the ParallelDB configuration. However, it also load balances the writes on all nodes whereas you want only the writes to be directed to a single node. This is achievable either by a slight modification of the ParallelDB load balancer or by enforcing all backends but the master to be read-only (this could be achieved through JMX). How would you consider the reconfiguration in case of a MySQL master failure?

If you need a specific development, this could be quickly achieved by c-jdbc-pro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx professional services, don't hesitate to contact them.

Thanks for your interest in C-JDBC,
Emmanuel

--
Emmanuel Cecchet

INRIA Research Scientist   | Chief Architect
SARDES Project             | ObjectWeb Consortium
http://sardes.inrialpes.fr | http://www.objectweb.org