Mail Archive Home | cardamom-users List | September 2006 Index

Re: CCM and ORB scopes

CCM comes with a container that hides access to the ORB/POA for the component. There is a standard API (local IDL interfaces) for the component to access container services. Appart from already standardised container services (transaction, event, security and persistence), components can still access std CORBA object services through the CCM Deployment tool either as a configuration attribute through property files; or as a required service (receptable) in which cas you have to provide in the assembly file (.cad) a corbaloc url/stringified object reference ... etc.

There still a problem with the current standard to access local services that provide 'local IDL interfaces'. The deployment tool cannot send the object references over the wire since these local IDL! components cannot get them through the ORB::resolve_initial_references() since components have no access to it! There is another CORBA Spec called 'QoS for CCM' that extends the container to enable standard retrieval of new services...

In the meantime, CARDAMOM extended the CCMContext interface to provide such functionality :
/**
    * A CDMW-specific CCMContext with access to container service.
    * Base interface for all generated ccmcif context
    */
   local interface CCMContextExt : Components::CCMContext
{ /**
        * Service Identifier used by get_service.
        */
       typedef string ServiceId;
/** * Exception raised by get_service when a service identifier is unknown.
        */
       exception ServiceUnavailable{};

       /**
        * Returns the reference of the specified service.
        *
*@param identifier string that identify the service whose reference is required.
        *
        *@return a reference of the specified service.
        *
*@exception ServiceUnavalaible if the specified reference is not available.
        */
        Object
        get_service(in ServiceId identifier)
           raises (ServiceUnavailable);

   };

The get_service() operation will not references for the following services: "RootPOA", "POACurrent", "ORBPolicyManager", "PolicyCurrent", "PICurrent".

Cheers,

Hakim