Mail Archive Home | celtix List | June 2006 Index

Re: [celtix] Content-Based Routing

Hi Richard,

You are right that the current router doesnt has support for the two usecases that you outlined. While its possible to implement your usecases using a handler i agree that it not a perfect solution.

Ideally i would like to see router to support the content based routing which cover the two usecases that you outlined OOTB. Something to add to the Celtix roadmap.

Could you submit a feature request [1] for Celtix router?

> The only thing I'm worried about is that the payload of the message may not be XML and therefore we wouldn't be able to use Xqueries, maybe that is a future issue as Celtix currently doesn't support binary bindings (I think).
Yes Celtix as it stands today certainly doesnt support any binary bindings. Apache Yoko [2] is a project that intends to support CORBA Binding (first non XML binding) on top of Celtix. This means Celtix router will be working with non xml bindings and CBR should be applied in similar fashion for corba endpoints as well.
So, from a design perspective celtix router is definetely designed to deal with non xml payloads and hopefully in near future we should be able to demostrate this for you with Yoko. Please stay tuned...

>So would a new router be better ?
I am not sure if supporting CBR requires a new router, but i would certainly see an enhanced router with support for CBR.

[1] - http://forge.objectweb.org/tracker/?atid=350244&group_id=192&func=browse
[2] - http://incubator.apache.org/yoko/

thanks,
Adi

On 6/13/06, Shaw, Richard A <richard.shaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you are using a handler to do the re-routing then you aren't really using the router. You can add the handler to any service address defined on the bus. Wouldn't it be better to create a new router which has extended configuration to allow it to do content based routing.

We are just looking at this - we have 2 instant uses -

1 - the content based router will pass a messages to an appropriate tranformer which will convert the message. So it is using the format of the message to decide where to route (the format may be the root element name)

2 - we have a data requets message with an optional time parameter. When the time parameter is not specified we want data from the live data server, when the time is specified we want the data from the historical data server. So the CBR will use the message name and a parameter to decide where to send the message to.

I was thinking that we could do this using an XQuery. The config of the CBR would have a series of Xqueries and destination addresses. If any of the XQueries return true then that address will be used. The only thing I'm worried about is that the payload of the message may not be XML and therefore we wouldn't be able to use Xqueries, maybe that is a future issue as Celtix currently doesn't support binary bindings (I think).

Excuse me if any of my Celtix defintions are wrong in the above text - if they are I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgable people out there who can put me right.

So would a new router be better ?

Thanks

Richard Shaw

內躬偕爻,虜,齯滌`偕爻內躬偕爻,虜,齯滌`偕爻內躬偕爻,虜,齯

Richard Shaw
Technical Design Authority - Information Solutions Consultancy
Intelligent Transport Systems

Atkins Highways and Transportation
Woodcote Grove, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey, KT18 5BW

Tel: +44 (0) 1372 756407
Fax: +44 (0) 1372 740055
Mob: 07740 817586
E-mail: richard.shaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx