Mail Archive Home | deployment List | May 2004 Index

Re: [fractal] Re: [architecture] Fractal packaging & deployment, bis

Thierry COUPAYE wrote:

Sébastien Jean wrote:

Eric Bruneton wrote:

it is true that "packages", in this document, have nothing to do with
Java packages. But "deployment unit" is a bit too long (I would
prefer a single word). Any other idea?

i propose either "seed" or "germ" that shortly stands for deployement unit

"seed" or "germ" should be reserved for bootstrapping issues wrt a deployment infrastructure IMHO.

I share Thierry's opinion. I'm currently using the term "Fractal seed" in CLIF project to deal with an empty composite somewhere on the network where any Fractal component may be "deployed" (in the sense of: created, bound, managed - the necessary classes and possible resource files for the "deployed" component are downloaded without any specific local installation required).

Maybe we can find something better than 'package' but frankly, package is just fine for me. We would just have to say 'java package' when speaking about java package (!) and package otherwise. Sun takes words like 'interface' or 'package' and gives them very strange semantics, i don't see why this should prevent us for using these words which have a natural meaning to most people.

The only thing I see that could prevent us would be the fact that many people do have a strong Java background. However, it should be possible to make it clear that this spec deals with *packaging and deployment* of software. In the field of software management, the term "package" is widely used (RPMs or Debian packages in Linux, packages in Solaris...) As a result, it could be also regarded as misleading NOT to use the term "package".

Hope it helps a little bit,
-- Bruno.