Mail Archive Home | eclipse-stp List | June 2006 Index

RE : [objectweb] Tuscany/SCA and Fuse/JBI progress in Eclipse STP

Title: Message
Hi all,

As nobody has been available for this audio, I close now the bridge, and send you a more detailed status about Eclipse STP :

- Changes to the SCA specifications : there are some changes coming down the track for the SCA assembly specification which are relevant to the project core. The good news is that the updates are part of an overall simplification effort, reducing unnecessary diversity in the artifacts that compose an SCA assembly. The other sort of news is that these changes need to be tracked by the core implementation

- Sybase has contributed the deploy framework and since we still have the outstanding item to position this code with respect to the deployment facilities in WTP, I suggest that we get cracking on it now. The deliverable is a short report and some recommendations - it would make an interesting article. Of course, we need some people to do some volunteering here

- A presentation at Eclipse World in Boston in September [0] will be done by Oisin Hurley and Karl Reti. Let's have your input on how we can send the audience away with some excitement

- Meeting with the Tuscany developers during ApacheCon to talk about tools for creation of Java-based SCA services. This should be a natural fit for the project due to the alignment of models. It's the deployment aspect that is the most interesting, and something that Tuscany will be looking at strongly for their M2.

- Exchanging email with Phil Dodds, who is at the moment developing some tools for Fuse [1], on the tooling and approaches required for JBI service development. This is an important standard, even though it does have some warts, and has plenty of traction in the marketplace. It is something that we need to pay attention to and see how we can integrate.

- ECP [2] creation call last week. Jim Colson did most of the running on this one, stating his confusion about this project, it's relation to Felix [3] implementation, and how it fits into Eclipse. The lead guy, Igor, didn't really answer the questions too well - he summarized the project as a being a set of extensions to the OSGi manifest metadata, which raised the question: why then is this effort not happing in the OSGi consortium and in concert with the Equinox project? Again, not many answers forthcoming, but the action item was taken to approach the OSGi guys and the Equinox guys to see where things may be more relevant.

- Getting in contact with STP sub-project leads to start the thought processes around an STP M1

Alain

[0] http://www.eclipseworld.net/thursday_pm.htm

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/JBI_Runtimes

[2] http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/ecp/