Mail Archive Home | enhydra List | Febuary 1999 Index

Enhydra: Re: Moving towards a common goal

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Brad Neuberg wrote:

>> One quick thing; the file I just posted here is composed of two pieces
that
>> do not depend on each other, which is the philosophy that I am taking
>> towards the app servers: breaking them into pieces of functionality that
do
>> not depend on each other.  So in the package I just sent out, there are
two
>> modules: org.openportal.dynamic_composition, and
org.openportal.directory.
>> These two modules have no knowledge of each other, and may be seperated
and
>> used in other applications.
>
>Wow! Thanks!
>
>If you wanted to make sure that the code can be used by all the projects
>without any restrictions, the simplest thing to do is to make the code
>public domain. Your releasing it under multiple licenses works too,
>though.

The thing is if someone adds something to the code it would be cool if they
gave me permission to re-release their additions under the GPL or LGPL, even
if the code was added to Locomotive, for example.  The reason for this is
that I need to use a Java Server Pages library that is under the GPL, as
well as a regular expression library.  I need both of these to finish
something called OpenPortal.  It would be nice if I could incorporate
additions that people make into this.  People don't have
to do this, but it would be nice.

Thanks,
  Brad Neuberg
  VP of Technology, BaseSystem