RE: Enhydra: Enhydra help please?

Alex,

Notifications of the type you mention require a number of elements:

a>  an alert mechanism, most likely through integration with JavaMail, that
allows for the application to pass to JavaMail a recipient [for SMS,
probably a phone number and a domain, eg 8314719753@xxxxxxxxxx, and a text
field of 120 characters or less]
b>  a workflow / state management type servlet/service that allows for the
management of events and responses to them, perhaps using a message based
middleware like JMS to publish and subscribe to these.
c>  WAP - Enhydra does WAP today, although SMS/WAP is still too immature to
do what your end user would find most compelling - send the user an alert
with a URL that allows the phone to do an internet data connection to a
stateful session within the auction environment you describe.  This
theoretically comes with PUSH in WAP 1.2 I believe.

A number of developers on this list have integrated JavaMail with Enhydra,
and that is not especially challenging.  However, I don't know of too many
that have authored a servlet or a service for workflow automation [although
this is certainly a part of the discussion ongoing at brock.enhydra.org].
Finally, look under WIRELESS on enhydra.org to get the tutorial on WAP/WML.

Net?  Check out JavaMail, and post to BROCK for recommendations on workflow
solutions.  Enhydra 4.0 / Enhydra Enterprise 4.0 is written using a new
services architecture, and this architecture will serve exceptionally well
to provide sevices like those that you require for your app [although we're
currently at Alpha3 for the project at this time].  The next drop with JMS
support should be in the 7-10 days...

best regards,
Keith