Re: Enhydra: Using DODS in Enhydra_4_A3 to define one-to-many doml code

A one-to-many relationship is accomplished by creating
a reference from one DO to another DO.
That is, when table B has a reference to table A,
many B's can refer to one A.
This concept has not changed.

In Enhydra 4.0 alpha 3, DODS has a new GUI based on an XML editor.
It produces different DOML files than the old GUI.

A number of bugs in the new DODS GUI have been reported.
I do not recommend using the new DODS GUI at this time.
But if you are really curious, here is a very quick intro...

To create a many-to-one relationship using the new DODS UI:
1    Run dods.
2    Click File->New File.  A frame labeled 'Untitled1' appears.
3    On that frame, click on the icon to expand (maximize) the frame.
4    On the 'doml' element, right-click and select Add->vendor.
5a   The default database vendor is Standard, and a tab labeled Standard
    appears on the right.
5b   Choose the database vendor (e.g. Oracle) and click Save.
    The tab disappears, and the vendor element now has the name Oracle.
6a   On the vendor element, right-click and select Add->package.
     A tab labeled 'package' appears on the right.
6b  Change the name to 'data' and click Save.
7    On that 'data' element, right-click Add->class.
8a   A tab labeled 'class' appears on the right.
8b   Change the name to 'City', and click Save.
9a    Again on the 'data' element, right-click Add->class.
     A tab labeled 'class' appears.
9b  Change the name to 'Person', and click Save.
10   On the Person element, right-click Add->field.
11a A tab labeled 'field' appears.
11b Change the field name to 'city'.
    This will be our many-to-one relationship.
    Many Persons can live in one City.
11c Click on the java-type list and select 'data.City'.
    In the old DODS GUI, the choice would have been 'data.CityDO'
    since 'DO' is automatically appended to all data object names.

Dan Rosner wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm having some trouble defining a one-to-many
> relationship using the DODS in version 4_A3.
> Would anyone mind posting an example of the correct
> doml syntax required to denote a one-to-many relationship
> with this new version of DODS (or just a description of how
> to do it with the new DODS GUI)?  It looks like the Dods
> in version 4 has changed from version 3, and that the
> documentation doesn't reflect this yet.  Large
> thanks for any guidance you can offer.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> Dan Rosner