RE: Enhydra: Enhydra Director - apxs?

apxs is a script that gets installed when you install apache.  It knows
enough about your apache installation (which compiler you used, which
options you gave it, etc) to configure add-on modules that you later decide
to build as DSOs.

The process, in other words, looks something like this:

1. build apache, enabling mod_so to get support for DSOs (runtime module
linking).
2. install apache.

[ time passes; requirements change ]

3. download new module; unpack.
4. configure new module as a DSO using apxs.  usually this entails the
following:

cd module_dir
./configure --with-apxs=/path/to/apxs-script

on my redhat 6.2 machine, apxs lives in /usr/sbin/apxs

5.  make && make install

Often (always?) apxs will update your httpd.conf with the necessary
AddModule and other directives needed to link the DSO you just installed.
You'll want to check what it does, however, since it isn't perfect.

Eric