Re: [enhydra] Problem with UTF-8

Hi Lofi,

For Tomcat HTTP connector you should try with setting "|useBodyEncodingForURI|" on "true".

|useBodyEncodingForURI - |specifies if the encoding specified in contentType should be used for URI query parameters, instead of using the URIEncoding. This setting is present for compatibility with Tomcat 4.1.x, where the encoding specified in the contentType, or explicitely set using Request.setCharacterEncoding method was also used for the parameters from the URL. The default value is |false|.

New Enhydra Enterprise 6.5-1 contains revised Enhydra Director Connector implementation which also supports this (same) parameter. Sorry, but "|useBodyEncodingForURI|" was not supported by Director Connector implementation included in EE 6.3-1 release!

Regards,
 Slobodan Vujasinovic
Enhydra Development Team

Lofi Dewanto wrote:

Hi all,

last time I wrote about UTF-8, I said that EE 6.3
works to serve UTF pages with following things:

1) Change the HTML file to have this line:

2) Add this line into xmlc file:
-html:encoding utf-8

3) Add this line into presentation.conf:
Application.Encoding = "utf-8"

4) Add this to server.xml -> URIEncoding="utf-8"
<Connector port="9000"
debug="0" connectionTimeout="20000" URIEncoding="utf-8"
disableUploadTimeout="true" />

Here are the discussions:
http://www.objectweb.org/wws/arc/enhydra/2005-08/msg00038.html
http://www.objectweb.org/wws/arc/enhydra/2005-08/msg00040.html

Yes, it still works like this but I have now a different problem.

Adding URIEncoding="utf-8" to the connector of Tomcat (server.xml)
makes Tomcat to serve UTF-8 for *all* the connections under
the port 9000. So all applications under this port will always
serve UTF-8.

My questions:

How can I make Tomcat to handle UTF only *application dependent*
and not the whole connection under 9000? I added following but
still it won't work:

1) Remove URIEncoding="utf-8" from the server.xml, so Tomcat
does not have to serve UTF-8 for all applications in port 9000.

2) Add these methods in StandardApplication:
public boolean requestPreprocessor(HttpPresentationComms comms)
                                throws Exception {
  comms.response.setEncoding("UTF-8");
  comms.request.getHttpServletRequest().
    setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");
  return super.requestPreprocessor(comms);
}

3) Also add

comms.request.getHttpServletRequest().
  setCharacterEncoding("UTF-8");

everytime before reading the request object. Actually
this is already done in the number 2... But still both
don't work.

So, my conclusion is that UTF-8 access will only work if I
add URIEncoding="utf-8" to the Tomcat connector
within the server.xml...

And this pops my second problem: if I used Director I cannot
add this parameter since Director connector does not support it.

Here are the parameter of Director Connector:
<Connector className="org.enhydra.servlet.connectionMethods.EnhydraDirector.EnhydraDirectorConnectionMethod"
  port="9000"
  threadTimeout = "300"
  clientTimeout = "30"
  sessionAffinity = "true"
  queueSize = "400"
  numThreads = "200"
  bindAddress = "(All Interfaces)"
  authKey = "(Unauthenticated)"
/>

Then I need to make my Apache to serve utf-8, which is not
the solution, since my web server also serves older applications
which are not UTF-8?

Do we have any solutions here? Any helps are really appreciated!

Thanks a lot community!