Mail Archive Home | javaservice List | October 2005 Index

Addition for location of jvm.dll

Dear JavaService Team,

First of all I'd like to say thanks for a great tool for allowing Java apps to be run as a service, JavaService is easily the best way of getting apps to run as a service.

I have made an addition to JavaService and would hope you could consider it for inclusion in a later version.

One problem I had with JavaService is that I regularly update my version of the Java Runtime Environment and every time I update the Runtime the location of the jvm.dll moves. I then have to uninstall and reinstall the services using JavaService or modify the service registry entries to point to the new jvm.dll.

The modification I have made is to the RegistryHandler class (attached) to check if no jvm.dll has been defined for the service and then use two reads of the registry to obtain the path of the jvm.dll. I believe this will work regardless of the Java Runtime installed.

The registry values read are

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion

to obtain the Java version and the using this version read

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\<Java version obtained>\RuntimeLib

to get the path to the jvm.dll.

I hope you can use this to allow JavaService to work without having to specify a jvm.dll path and also to allow it to work after an upgrade of a Runtime Environment. It would probably be better using a specific switch instead of specifying a blank path to the jvm.dll but I didn't want to modify the code related to the switch handling for my test.

Thanks again for a great tool.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Cave (ccave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)