Mail Archive Home | jawe List | July 2004 Index

Re: [jawe] condition ordering (was: Update : Problem with validation !!!)

Hi,

I agree that it would be better that engine evaluates otherwise condition
after all others, and it probably does not make any sense
this way.
What spec. say is:

"... The decision as to which single transition route is selected is
dependent on the conditions of each individual transition as
they are evaluated in the sequence specified in the list. If an unconditional
Transition is evaluated or transition with condition
OTHERWISE this ends the list evaluation..."

From this text, I've concluded that the position of OTHERWISE condition in
XOR split matters (for AND splits it explicitly states
that position of OTHERWISE transition does not matter - it is always
considered the last one).

I would rather reconsider to implement different OTHERWISE transition
calculation in shark engine (even if breaking the spec., which
probably doesn't have sense here) than to change JaWE to sort it
automatically.

There is one argument against changing anything: if you have multiple
outgoing transition in XOR split, the order of evaluation
should be important (because more that one transition condition could be
satisfied), and XPDL creator should take care of it, and
while doing this, he can also put the OTHERWISE condition at the end of the
list.