Re: [oscar] HTTP Service:: mapping URIs to servlets

Hi Richard and Michel,

Richard S. Hall wrote:
I keep begging for anyone to take of the HTTP Service bundle and improve it, but I never get any takers.

The HTTP Service is important and I think it would be good if we could have a version that uses an existing HTTP server, like Jetty or any other, but I am no expert in this area. I originally hacked up the HTTP Service just as an example and then it was further hacked by Rob Walker, but neither he nor I know a lot about HTTP servers. Despite its importance, I cannot find someone who really wants to take ownership of it.

In short, if you are experiencing a problem with our HTTP Service, then it is probably the fault of the HTTP Service implementation. You could grab a different implementation and use that with Oscar...or improve the current one. :-)

Grabbing a different turned out not to be straightforward: the one I tried (Knopflerfish) had too many dependencies to non-OSGi classes.

I agree that it would be nice to have a good HTTP Service bundle that
1- runs on different frameworks (only standard OSGi interfaces)
2- makes it possible to plug in server technologies (wars, jsp, velocity, ...)
3- makes it possible to plug in HTTPS

I have already spent quite some time to make 2 (HTTPS, SSL) and 3 (Velocity) work on Knopflerfish (local only, not commited). So, improving single issues in Oscar's current HTTP service (the URL-mapping code, etc) would still be a step backwards from my point of view. What I would like to have ideally is a modular version of Tomcat, targeted for embedded OSGi frameworks to meet (1, 2 and 3), but looking into the sources was not really encouraging so far. We'll see...

Tom

-> richard

Tom wrote:

Hello,

when registering a servlet under the alias "/x", it gets correctly invoked when pointing a Web browser to "http://localhost/x";.

However, when pointing the Web Broswer to "http://localhost/x/index.html"; or "http://localhost/x/y";, the HTTP Service returns a NOT FOUND error back without invoking the servlet at all. It should not to that, right? Did I misconfigure something?

Thanks
Tom