From: Tom [mailto:ecl@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Fri 7/30/2004 2:48 PM
To: oscar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [oscar] HTTP Service:: mapping URIs to servlets

Hi Richard and Michel,

Richard S. Hall wrote:
> I keep begging for anyone to take of the HTTP Service bundle and improve
> it, but I never get any takers.
>
> The HTTP Service is important and I think it would be good if we could
> have a version that uses an existing HTTP server, like Jetty or any
> other, but I am no expert in this area. I originally hacked up the HTTP
> Service just as an example and then it was further hacked by Rob Walker,
> but neither he nor I know a lot about HTTP servers. Despite its
> importance, I cannot find someone who really wants to take ownership of it.
>
> In short, if you are experiencing a problem with our HTTP Service, then
> it is probably the fault of the HTTP Service implementation. You could
> grab a different implementation and use that with Oscar...or improve the
> current one.  :-)

Grabbing a different turned out not to be straightforward: the one I
tried (Knopflerfish) had too many dependencies to non-OSGi classes.

I agree that it would be nice to have a good HTTP Service bundle that
1- runs on different frameworks (only standard OSGi interfaces)
2- makes it possible to plug in server technologies (wars, jsp,
velocity, ...)
3- makes it possible to plug in HTTPS

I have already spent quite some time to make 2 (HTTPS, SSL) and 3
(Velocity) work on Knopflerfish (local only, not commited).
So, improving single issues in Oscar's current HTTP service (the
URL-mapping code, etc) would still be a step backwards from my point of
view.
What I would like to have ideally is a modular version of Tomcat,
targeted for embedded OSGi frameworks to meet (1, 2 and 3), but looking
into the sources was not really encouraging so far. We'll see...

Tom