    From: Tom [mailto:ecl@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
    Sent: Fri 7/30/2004 2:48 PM
    To: oscar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [oscar] HTTP Service:: mapping URIs to servlets

    Hi Richard and Michel,

    Richard S. Hall wrote:
     > I keep begging for anyone to take of the HTTP Service bundle and
    improve
     > it, but I never get any takers.
     >
     > The HTTP Service is important and I think it would be good if we
    could
     > have a version that uses an existing HTTP server, like Jetty or any
     > other, but I am no expert in this area. I originally hacked up
    the HTTP
     > Service just as an example and then it was further hacked by Rob
    Walker,
     > but neither he nor I know a lot about HTTP servers. Despite its
     > importance, I cannot find someone who really wants to take
    ownership of it.

     > In short, if you are experiencing a problem with our HTTP
    Service, then
     > it is probably the fault of the HTTP Service implementation. You
    could
     > grab a different implementation and use that with Oscar...or
    improve the
     > current one.  :-)

    Grabbing a different turned out not to be straightforward: the one I
    tried (Knopflerfish) had too many dependencies to non-OSGi classes.

    I agree that it would be nice to have a good HTTP Service bundle that
    1- runs on different frameworks (only standard OSGi interfaces)
    2- makes it possible to plug in server technologies (wars, jsp,
    velocity, ...)
    3- makes it possible to plug in HTTPS

    I have already spent quite some time to make 2 (HTTPS, SSL) and 3
    (Velocity) work on Knopflerfish (local only, not commited).
    So, improving single issues in Oscar's current HTTP service (the
    URL-mapping code, etc) would still be a step backwards from my point of
    view.
    What I would like to have ideally is a modular version of Tomcat,
    targeted for embedded OSGi frameworks to meet (1, 2 and 3), but looking
    into the sources was not really encouraging so far. We'll see...

    Tom