Re: RE: [oscar] need info - servlet, RMI, SOAP...

HI, I would like to mention one thing.

In fact, interoperability is the only and key benefit when you are using SOAP.

SOAP is just language neutral RMI, and XML based CORBA.

In robustness, flexibility, performance, and easiness to program  RMI is better for JAVA to JAVA.

Sevlet is too restrcited if you are trying to use string input and document output.

Servlet is quite human user oriented, since all the results is for human reading.

In contrast, SOAP and webservice is more machine oriented, since the response from SOAP is not human readible directly.

So, my opinion is as follows:

If you use only string and the response is required  for human readible,

then use servlet, since it is the simplest case.

If you want  software process the response, and all the enviroment is Java world, you can use RMI for it.

If you want software handle the reponse, and you want work with other language, C#, Visual. NET etc,

the only solution is SOAP.

Hope it helps