Mail Archive Home | oscar List | April 2005 Index

Re: [oscar] Another alpha

On Wednesday 27 April 2005 12:17, Richard S. Hall wrote:

> This release should install standard R3 bundles, however you may run
> into problems due to the new strict class loading rules; please read the
> docs above.

First of all, I have not tried out any of the alpha versions yet (no time at
the moment) but I do have a question regarding the stricter class loading
rules.

Under the new rules, a lot of packages that were available through the JDK
are
no longer visible. Let's assume I want to make use of them. Is there some way
to create a bundle that "exports" these packages through its manifest to make
them available? If such a mechanism would work, you could create a situation
where on one platform a manifest-only bundle would expose them, whilst on
another platform, such a bundle would actually include all those classes.

Or are there other ways to solve this? An example of an implementation of
this
mechanism would be JMX. In J2SE 5.0 it is included (API and implementation)
and on older VM's one could revert to using something like MX4J.