Mail Archive Home | oscar List | October 2005 Index

Re: [architecture] Geronimo and OSGi

Thanks you Philippe

Just a presentation of FROGi in english.

Didier

Philippe Merle a écrit :

Hi,

Pierre-Yves Gibello wrote:

I don't know what is the position of the JOnAS team regarding this, but
I think we have a kind of "Fractal vs OSGi" issue at OW (although I'm
not sure both approaches address the same problem, and I'm not even sure
they are uncompatible).

Fractal and OSGi are not uncompatible. See the paper "FROGi :
déploiement de composants Fractal sur OSGi" presented at the DECOR 2004 conference.

OSGi provides a runtime structure where bundles/services/code could be deployed dynamically (ie installed, updated, uninstalled, etc).
OSGi provides also a service register that allows services to discover
and connect them together.
OSGi is adequate for software requiring a structured plug-in mechanism.
This is why it is used in Eclipse and in home/vehicle gateways.

Fractal provides a ligthweight extensible component model where:
* software architectures could be clearly expressed (see Fractal ADL)
* applications could be dynamically and safely reconfigurated
* functional and non functional aspects could be separated
This is why Fractal is used to build some ObjectWeb middleware like
DREAM, JADE, GOTM, Speedo, etc.

Next ObjectWeb application servers should be build on top of
OSGi and Fractal together. And we should stop to opposite these
two complementary software technologies.

A+
Philippe Merle
Dr. Philippe Merle - INRIA Scientist Researcher at
Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale de Lille
UPRESA 8022 CNRS - U.F.R. I.E.E.A. - Batiment M3
Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille
59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq CEDEX France

   Phone: (33) (0)3 20 33 70 24
     Fax: (33) (0)3 28 77 85 37
  E-Mail: Philippe.Merle@xxxxxxx
Home Page: http://www.lifl.fr/~merle
See also: http://openccm.objectweb.org/
          http://corbaweb.lifl.fr/

Didier DONSEZ
Laboratoire LSR, Institut Imag, Universite Joseph Fourier
Bat. C, 220 rue de la Chimie, Domaine Universitaire
BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
GPS : lat 45°11'38.3"N, lon 05°46'14.7"E, alt 223m
Tel : +33 4 76 63 55 49           Fax : +33 4 76 63 55 50
mailto:Didier.Donsez@xxxxxxx