Mail Archive Home | proactive List | Febuary 2004 Index

Re: [college] A benchmarking student project

Unfortunately, you are right but I think we can quickly find a solution.
Some documentation has been produced but not published on the web and Bruno was recently porting CLIF to Fractal v2. He is also working on updating the documentation. Bruno, can you tell us more on this?

Emmanuel

Philippe Merle wrote:

Hi,

If you tried to browse http://clif.objectweb.org
and its OW gforge, you will discover that the
documentation and examples are very poor (if exist). Then it will be hard to give this powerful framework
to young students. They will have a lot of studies
to understand how using the various middleware to
benchmark. For these middleware, documentation and examples exist.
So we could try to apply CLIF in our context
when we could understand how using CLIF and
what the user benefits will be.
Emmanuel Cecchet wrote:
I remind you that CLIF is an injection framework that has been designed
to inject load in a system to automate benchmarking.
CLIF is implemented in Fractal and I can only encourage other
initiatives to contribute to CLIF.
Main components include:
- scenarios to inject load
- sensors/probes to monitor the system
- console to deploy a distributed load, control the load injection
scenario and display monitoring information.

Bruno Dillenseger is the lead of CLIF and will explain it much better
than me, but I encourage you to develop CILF scenarios (Fractal
components) to benchmark your systems.
We could organize a meeting of this topic if you wish.

Emmanuel

A+
Philippe Merle
Dr. Philippe Merle - INRIA Scientist Researcher at
Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale de Lille
UPRESA 8022 CNRS - U.F.R. I.E.E.A. - Batiment M3
Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille
59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq CEDEX France

   Phone: (33) (0)3 20 33 70 24
     Fax: (33) (0)3 20 43 65 66
  E-Mail: Philippe.Merle@xxxxxxx