Mail Archive Home | shark List | December 2004 Index

Re: [shark] output from JavaClassToolAgent to a workflow variable

Hi,

it is quite interesting usage of JavaClass tool agent, but I'm not sure if
you are using it correctly in overall system.
Did you modified original JavaClass tool agent that calls your class?
If you didn't, than you are actually starting a Swing application and DB
transaction last until you press some button, which is not good, and can't be
used that way for any real purpose. Anyway, you should check if the variables
for which you are doing xxx.the_value=new Long(0) are in XPDL declared as OUT
or INOUT formal parameters of Application definition (If they are IN
parameters, it doesn't matter what you do to them - it won't be reflected in
shark).

If you've modified JavaClass tool agent to open new thread for executing your
CelsiusConverter class, than you also should provide that it waits for the
swing application to finish, and after finishing to call set_result() and
complete() method of the tool activity that started it (of course activity
than should have MANUAL end, so that it does not finish after starting tool
agent). Also, be aware that in that case if VM goes down, this tool activity
will be in running state, and there will be nobody to finish it (because it
is automatic activity).

The main method of your class should be fine.

I can't discuss if your approach is good, because I don't know your system,
but maybe you should look at the problem from the other side: maybe you need
a swing client application (like our admin) instead of making tool agents
that start Swing application?

Sorry that we can't manage to help more, and thanks for your useful
suggestions. There are several topics you pointed out, but never had time to
discuss (Petri-Nets : we haven't been leaded by this theory, BPEL agains
XPDL, ...)

Greetings,
Sasa.