Mail Archive Home | shark List | January 2005 Index

Accessing process variales via activity tools

I created an XPDL that spawns subworkflows asynchronously for many users (the
list of users is passed in). The last activity (after the sub-flows in the
main-flow) waits until a deadline is reached (this actually works fine),
however, I want to be able to alter a variable that the waiting activity uses
to evaluate the deadline. Here is what the deadline expression says:

d=new java.util.Date();
sdf=new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("MM/dd/yyyy h:mm a");
d=sdf.parse(expireDate_global);
if (allCompleted.booleanValue()) d=new
java.util.Date(System.currentTimeMillis());
d;

I also had

d=new java.util.Date();
sdf=new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("MM/dd/yyyy h:mm a");
d=sdf.parse(expireDate_global);
if (allCompleted) d=new java.util.Date(System.currentTimeMillis());
d;

"allCompleted" is a WRD. I understand that this activity has its own
context/copy of the variables and that it is already started. I don't want to
do callbacks to Shark from the XPDL script/tool to force this last activity
to complete.

Are there any new developments that address this issue? Is there a better way
of accomplishing this? Currently, can an activity "re-evaluate" the variables?

On a side note, if I use a circular transition and the process transitions
back to the activity, will the variables be "refreshed"? If so, will the
circular transition create a new activity or will it just update the original
one?

Thanks

--Alfred.