Mail Archive Home | shark List | May 2005 Index

[shark] oracle problem...getting closer

Hi,
As you probably have noticed - I've been complaining about oracle not
working for me.  Because I really want to use Shark in our app, I
decided to jump into shark and dods and try to pinpoint the problem
(which very well could be with the way I've got things setup).  After
investigating for a while, I thought I'd share what I've found.  I'm
pretty stumped, but I believe I've found some points of interest.
Maybe something will jump out at someone and you can help point me in
the right direction.

I went into the generated XPDLDataDO.java file and found that this
statement is getting evaluated to false
            if (tweak.isBlobAccessSpecial()) {
This is obviously not right, because there is an Oracle Implementation
(com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.oracle.OracleDriverDependencies)
which should make this true.  I went further and found that the
LogicalDatabase being used is the
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.standard.StandardLogicalDatabase
instead of com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.oracle.OracleLogicalDatabase.
 So something isn't getting setup correctly.  According to dods
documentation 2 things are missing in sharks config files (I think).
1)  Shark.conf should have a line like:
      DatabaseManager.DB.sharkdb.ClassType=Oracle
2)  OracleConf.xml should have the following 2 lines:

<ClassPath>c:\java\shark\Shark\output\Shark\lib\contrib\oracle.jar</ClassPath>
<ClassName>com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.oracle.OracleLogicalDatabase</ClassName>

at least that's what dods docs claim:
http://dods.objectweb.org/doc/6.3/dods/using_dods.html#ch14

I tried making these additions, and now I'm getting this exception
when dods attempts to initialize:
<see stacktrace below>

The problem now is that DODS.getDatabaseManager() returns null.

obviosly, I don't claim to understand exactly how shark uses dods, but
something doesn't seem to be quite right.  I'll continue debugging
this problem, but if anyone has an idea - please let me know.

as a side note - I'm assuming shark relies on dods6 - is this correct?

Thanks,
Ben

2005-05-25 12:21:01,031: SharkEngineManager -> Can't work - Problems
while configuring AuthenticationManager!
------------- ---------------- ---------------
------------- Standard Error -----------------
javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in
environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an
application resource file:  java.naming.factory.initial
        at
javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getInitialContext(NamingManager.java:645)
        at
javax.naming.InitialContext.getDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:247)
        at
javax.naming.InitialContext.getURLOrDefaultInitCtx(InitialContext.java:284)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:351)
        at org.enhydra.dods.DODS.checkDodsConfiguration(Unknown Source)
        at org.enhydra.dods.DODS.getDatabaseManager(Unknown Source)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.utilities.dods.DODSUtilities.init(DODSUtilities.java:182)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.authentication.DODSAuthenticationManager.configure(DODSAuthenticationManager.java:43)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.SharkEngineManager.init(SharkEngineManager.java:214)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.init(Shark.java:297)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.configure(Shark.java:120)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.configure(Shark.java:82)
        at com.dotech.workflow.util.SharkUtil.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.dotech.realnet.test.workflow.LoadPackageTest.testBen(Unknown
Source)
        at
        at
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.run(JUnitTestRunner.java:325)
        at
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.JUnitTestRunner.main(JUnitTestRunner.java:524)
com.lutris.util.ConfigException
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.StandardDatabaseManager.newInstance(Unknown
Source)
        at org.enhydra.dods.DODS.startup(Unknown Source)
[...]
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.standard.DatabaseConfiguration.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.standard.StandardLogicalDatabase.init(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.StandardDatabaseManager.loadLogicalDatabase(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.StandardDatabaseManager.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.utilities.dods.DODSUtilities.init(DODSUtilities.java:204)
[...]

Testcase: testBen took 0.891 sec
        Caused an ERROR
SharkEngineManager -> Can't work - Problems while configuring
AuthenticationManager!
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.DatabaseManagerException: Could not
create logical database sharkdb: java.lang.NullPointerException
[...]
        ... 24 more
*** Caused by:
[...]
org.enhydra.shark.api.RootException: DODS init problem.
        at
org.enhydra.shark.utilities.dods.DODSUtilities.init(DODSUtilities.java:207)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.authentication.DODSAuthenticationManager.configure(DODSAuthenticationManager.java:43)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.SharkEngineManager.init(SharkEngineManager.java:214)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.init(Shark.java:297)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.configure(Shark.java:120)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.configure(Shark.java:82)
        at com.dotech.workflow.util.SharkUtil.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.dotech.realnet.test.workflow.LoadPackageTest.testBen(Unknown
Source)
        at
        at
Caused by: com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.DatabaseManagerException:
Could not create logical database sharkdb:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.StandardDatabaseManager.loadLogicalDatabase(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.StandardDatabaseManager.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.utilities.dods.DODSUtilities.init(DODSUtilities.java:204)
        ... 21 more
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.standard.DatabaseConfiguration.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.lutris.appserver.server.sql.standard.StandardLogicalDatabase.init(Unknown
Source)
        ... 24 more
org.enhydra.shark.api.RootError: SharkEngineManager -> Can't work -
Problems while configuring AuthenticationManager!
        at
org.enhydra.shark.SharkEngineManager.init(SharkEngineManager.java:230)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.init(Shark.java:297)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.configure(Shark.java:120)
        at org.enhydra.shark.Shark.configure(Shark.java:82)
        at com.dotech.workflow.util.SharkUtil.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at com.dotech.realnet.test.workflow.LoadPackageTest.testBen(Unknown
Source)
        at
        at
Caused by: org.enhydra.shark.api.RootException: DODS init problem.
        at
org.enhydra.shark.utilities.dods.DODSUtilities.init(DODSUtilities.java:207)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.authentication.DODSAuthenticationManager.configure(DODSAuthenticationManager.java:43)
        at
org.enhydra.shark.SharkEngineManager.init(SharkEngineManager.java:214)
        ... 19 more
[...]

Testcase: testBen