Mail Archive Home | transaction List | November 2003 Index

[Fwd: Re: On GOTM/JOTM]

Dear Guy,

I know that you manifested your interest about Activity Services and here is a first contribution of people of the Technical University of Madrid.

Cheers,
Romain

--
Best Regards,
Romain                                 ,,,

    Phone: +33 (0)3 20 43 47 28
      Fax: +33 (0)3 20 43 65 66
   E-Mail: Romain.Rouvoy [at] inria.fr
      ICQ: #159382122
Home Page: http://www.lifl.fr/~rouvoy
 See Also: http://forge.objectweb.org/projects/gotm
           http://openccm.objectweb.org
           http://jotm.objectweb.org
-----------------------------------.ooO---Ooo.-----
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Ricardo,

As I said you during the last ObjectWeb meeting. I'm very pleased to see that you still have developed an implementation of the Java Activity Specification, I don't think that many open-source implementation of this specification are existing today even if a lot of people are studying it. And your work on replication with JOTM seems to be interesting from a research point of view.

About JOTM Replication:
* The new leader of JOTM Team is David Egolf (david.egolf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
* I think there are many solution to contribute on replication in the context of JOTM. You can intregrate your work as a module of JOTM, you can "patch" the actual code for integrating more flexibility on this aspect in JOTM or it is possible to fork (but personaly, I don't think this is the best way to do). * This depends much more of the architecture of your framework of transaction replication. Could you tell us more about this architecture ? Could you send it on JOTM mailing list ?

About Java Activity Service:
* As said before, I think your work is interesting many people of the ObjectWeb consortium which has still manifested their interest on this topic. * As Java Activity Service Specification has few matters with Java Transaction Service Specification, I don't think that the best way is to integrate this work in JOTM. But I think that a preliminary step could be to integrate your implementation as an ObjectWeb project. This work is a good experimentation on "how to implement the Java Activity Specification". * You could submit a project proposition through the ObjectWeb SourceForge website (http://forge.objectweb.org/) * Possible users of your work could be ObjectWeb workflow frameworks (Bonita, ...) * From there we could discuss on possible collaborations between your implementation and the Transaction Working Group and the GoTM project. GoTM is a framework for building component-oriented transactionnal solutions, so we first need feedbacks on the use of Activity Service in order to see how it could be integrated in GoTM.

I really enjoy that people from transaction domain are proposing interesting contributions to the ObjectWeb communauty ! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask !
So you are welcome ! :)

Cheers,
Romain

Ricardo Jimenez-Peris wrote:
Dear Romain,

      I enjoyed meeting you at Paris.
As I told you we are willing to contribute an advanced transaction engine
based on the Java Activity Service that we are also implementing.
We are also working on the replication of JOTM and as I told you we would
like to contact the JOTM development team to be able to ask questions about the implementation and coordinate the implementation of the replication protocol so it can be reused in later versions of JOTM. We would also like to discuss with you to see how the work done for JOTM can be done in such a way that could be used
with GOTM.

Cheers,

Ricardo

--
Best Regards,
Romain                                 ,,,
---------------------------------.oOO--(_)--OOo.---
Romain Rouvoy - PhD Thesis Student
INRIA Jacquard Project - GOAL Team
Laboratoire d'Informatique Fondamentale de Lille
UPRESA 8022 CNRS - U.F.R. I.E.E.A. - Batiment M3
Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille
59655 Villeneuve d'Ascq CEDEX France

    Phone: +33 (0)3 20 43 47 28
      Fax: +33 (0)3 20 43 65 66
   E-Mail: Romain.Rouvoy [at] inria.fr