Mail Archive Home | xmlc List | May 2000 Index

Re: Rocks: some XMLC ideas

On 4 May 00, at 10:30, markd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > So - what's missing here :
> > - Provide server-side include functionality in the toDocument method
>
> Does your application need runtime server-side includes or would it be
> possible to do them when the page is compiled?

I'd be interested in runtime server-side includes.  Esp. the ability to
specify a java class that the "xmlc ssi engine" could create, and
call with a parameter (say the page name or url).  A simple default
class can be used to do a straight "read in file and dump here".
That way, some user class can, at runtime, suck in an arbitrary
file, or grab data from other sources (databases, other network
services, etc).  The raw text returned from the class would be
inserted diretly into the document at that point (it may contain
html).  This would provide a nice way to do common headers and
footers, and nist time, and a simple mechanism to aribtrarily
extend xmlc po's... :)

-iain