Mail Archive Home | xmlc List | April 2002 Index

Xmlc: ObjectWeb taking over sponsorship of Enhydra.org!

ObjectWeb taking over sponsorship of Enhydra.org

Many years ago we at Lutris had a vision to build a commercial
quality open-source application server and associated
technologies and thus founded the Enhydra.org initiative. During
that period the Enhydra projects have been very successful and we
were able to achieve our open source goals, but unfortunately,
not the commercial goals necessary to continue the initiative.
Despite the views of the public critics we still share desire to
see Enhydra.org continue and the work we founded to develop and
thus have been looking for alternatives to closing down the site.
Indeed we recently encouraged projects to find alternative homes,
however given the generous offer from ObjectWeb I think there is
a better solution - not to move and break up the cohesiveness of
the projects, but rather to leave the projects where they are!
Having been involved with ObjectWeb since its inception I know
the commitment and resources that this team of people share and
thus I can't recommend strongly enough that you support this
effort. Lutris also intends to support this change of control by
releasing some of the frequently requested enhancements that we
have made to XMLC.

Here is the announcement that ObjectWeb has asked me to make:-

We are pleased to announce that the ObjectWeb Consortium has
decided to take over the sponsorship of the Enhydra initiative.

As a result the Enhydra.org web site will not stop as announced
last week by Lutris, but will continue to operate.

Starting from beginning of May, ObjectWeb will ensure the hosting
of Enhydra.org helping developers to continue providing valuable
contributions to the Open Source community.

ObjectWeb ( http://www.objectweb.org ) is an open international
consortium hosted  by INRIA like the well-known W3C (
http://www.w3.org ). Unlike the W3C, the main target of ObjectWeb
is not the definition of new standards, but the development of a
coherent set of high-quality Open Source middleware components.
This includes implementations of major relevant standards in the
area of distributed systems. The ObjectWeb code base supports
most of the relevant middleware standards, such as Sun's EJB[tm]
and OMG CORBA.

The ObjectWeb and Enhydra cooperation has been going on since
1999, in particular with the integration of the ObjectWeb JOnAS
J2EE/EJB server (http://www.objectweb.org/jonas) within Lutris
EAS.  ObjectWeb projects have also been using Enhydra
technologies such as Zeus.

By hosting Enhydra.org, ObjectWeb aims at extending cooperation
between the two Open Source communities and will ensure that the
Enhydra group of projects has a safe and open haven for the
future. With this transfer of control ObjectWeb would like to
invite all the projects to re-engage with the new management to
build on what Lutris Technologies founded.

For more information please contact Gerard Vandome, President of
ObjectWeb executive committee mailto:contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Paul A Morgan
Chief Technology Officer