Mail Archive Home | xmlc List | May 2007 Index

org.enhydra.xml.xhtml.dom interfaces

Jake,

As I mentioned before, for no good reason, when I started using XMLC a couple years ago, I began using the XHTMLElement interfaces provided in the XMLC jars. Recently, I've been trying to use the org.w3c.dom.html.HTMLElement interfaces like you suggested. It makes sense to use the most generic interface available, and I'd rather have my code locked in to a W3C API than an Enhydra one (no offense!).

But I've been noticing that some setter methods just aren't there in the HTMLElement versions of all the tag types. For instance, HTMLLabelElement.setFor() doesn't exist, but XHTMLLabelElement.setFor () does.

And all the setOnClick(), setMouseDown(), etc. methods are on XHTMLInputElement, but not on HTMLInputElement. What's up with that? Are they not standard HTML? Is the W3C API just behind the times?

Which should I really be using? Is it worth doing a s/XHTML/HTML/g on my entire code base? Does the latest 2.3_RC1 "XMLC no longer wraps Xerces into its own namespace" have anything to do with this? (I haven't upgraded yet)

Just curious...

Cheers,
Erik